Yesterday morning I came into the NICU to deliver fresh breast milk for Anna, and we found she was quickly going down a dangerous path. Things were happening so fast... her color became white and blotchy, she was in pain, she had increasing abdominal distension, and was not breathing consistently or sufficiently. This continued for most of the day. Multiple X-rays were ordered up, and the doctors and other specialists were following her super closely. In the earlier part of the day, the lead doctor told us not to call it NEC just yet, and that he was hopeful the X-rays would begin to show she would be improving, but by 3pm she had gone pretty far in the opposite direction. The lead doctor said she was exhibiting many signs of NEC, it wasn't good, her intestines were becoming extremely dialated, and her prognosis was described as a "scary and worrisome situation." They put her on antibiotics to prepare for the possibility of bacteria coming through her intestinal walls (if they were to perforate), and they inserted a large diameter tube through her mouth and into her stomach to try to draw air & gas from her intestines.
Our thoughts were racing. All the information we had previously learned about NEC since she was born was flooding back into our minds, and honestly, we were scared to death. We had acknowledged the risk NEC earlier on (and were involved in discussions with the doctors on how to keep Anna's risk as low as possible), but the longer Anna progressed, the more we felt it was a risk that was now behind her. In a matter of a few hours, we felt like we were watching our girl leave us - she had been so comparatively strong and healthy just 24 hours earlier! No matter how much we tried to be "prepared for anything," we were just not ready for yesterday.
Angie writing...
Yesterday, was the first day that I coudn't pull myself together. Noah was such a blessing to me...as he literally picked me up off the floor from my floods of tears. He encouraged me in my faith and helped me to contnue to be hopeful. I am so thankful for such an amazing husband who continues to be my rock! God was still in control of the darkest of yesterday's moments. Pray that we can keep our trust fully in Him, and that His peace would guard our hearts!
Anna is doing slightly better right now and they just did another X-ray (2pm). I was able to hold her for 25 minutes just a little while ago. My heart aches for her...I just want to make it all "better." They are inserting another PICC line which will allow them to more readily get fluids to her body...doing this is always a risk as well. The result of some of the blood work has come back, and she does have another infection, which is almost definitely in her intestines. Pray for patience! It's wait and see. Thank you for all your love and prayers!
23 comments:
Continuing to pray for little Anna and for your family..
Hey Guys,
We're thinking about you and praying for Anna. We love you.
You have been on our minds non-stop today. Thanks so much for the updates. This is a good reminder to never cease praying...We will become once again more faithful for praying for her. It seems like the better she was doing the less diligent we became in lifting her up in prayer. Goodness, my heart is going out to you guys. I am so thankful for your strong relationship with each other. What a blessing it is to have such a rock solid marriage and nonetheless one that points to our Savior. I am sobbing at the picture you painted in my head of watching Noah pick you up off the floor. Wish there was more we could do for you guys. Sending HUGE hugs your way.
Angie - we were all crying with you and pleading to the Lord for his miraculous healing of Anna. We will continue to be vigilant in prayer, and last night and today we are praising Him for the bit of good news you received.
We love you all so much!
We love all of you. I have a multitude of people praying for Anna and you both. I will pray even harder for guidance and strength. Hugs to all of you.
I have been praying for your family all day today, and that will continue! I cannot get your family off my mind, and will continually lift you up. I am so glad that Noah has had strength for you! I will pray for continued strength for both of you, as well as clear minds for the doctors, and comfort for little Anna. Much love to your family!
I can't get you all off of my heart - and have been praying all day. I have shared your link on my FB and Blog - isn't comforting to know that God's people all over the globe are lifting you before the throne - and people who don't even know you? May peace and grace abound to you all. Much Love.
Noah & Angie - I am praying for your little Anna. To encourage you: my niece and nephews were born at 26 weeks - there were many challenges. Jeremiah had ROP, Jonah had NEC, Cedar was only 1 lb. 10 at one point. I remember how difficult that time was - especially the fact that we couldn't hold and comfort them. But, have faith - prayer and a very Big God (who has allowed us to develop some amazing modern medicine) sustained all four of them through trying times where WE thought we would lose all of them - God had a plan and they are perfectly healthy 2 yr olds now. The NICU nurses always said that the girls were the biggest fighters - and your little Anna looks like a fighter! She is a miracle - who is perfectly made. I will continue to pray for your comfort.
Dear Angie and Noah,
Chad and I kept up with your blog and ever since we've read about Ana, you have been on our hearts. We are praying for little Ana and for you guys. I am a mom and I know I would feel the same thing and having a little girl myself it's even more personal. So, I am praying for your little girl and I know that God is with you guys.
Thanks for finding the time to update all of us in the midst of your craziness right now. I haven't been able to stop thinking about all of you, and let's admit, worrying. I just can't imagine, as parents, feeling so helpless. I thank God that you both have each other, that you have an incredible faith in Him, and that there are so many prayers being offered up for Anna's health. I hate that she's enduring so much at such a frail time. I will pray that she finds relief and so do you over the next couple of days. God, work a miracle again.
I'm crying with you and praying for you. May God continue to comfort you and hold you as you do the same for Anna.
We are praying much for you. We pray your faith will be strong, though such a struggle.--the Freses
We are praying for you, as well. We love you and know that God's love for you far surpasses that.
If you need anything else...
Hi Noah and Angie,
We just found out about little Anna tonight through Facebook friends. We will keep you in our prayers.
Here are a few verses that encouraged me as our little Dylan prepared for and then had his open-heart surgery two years ago: Philippians 4:6-7 - "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Also, Colossians 3:1-2 - "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." And this last verse: "Finally, [Noah and Angie], whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things" (Phil. 4:8).
It is so, so hard -- impossible, really -- to do these things in our own strength. But praise God, the Comforter indwells you. HE will give you the strength to meditate on God and His goodness. Praise God for His unfathomable peace!
Praying for you all!
I can hardly read your blog tonight through tear filled eyes. I love you guys so much and it hurts to know that you are hurting so much right now. I know God has a perfect plan for your perfect little girl. I wish I was there to hold you through these hard times. You are however; constantly on my mind and in our prayers. Be encouraged....hundreds of people are praying for Anna, you guys and the rest of your family.....
I love you so much!! xoxo
Praying for you folks....
praying for you in Greece.....
I am praying for hope and strength for you guys and your other two kiddos, and for life and health for Anna, who is fearfully and wonderfully made!
Angie and Noah- You are continually on our minds and in our prayers. Jay read the letter you wrote to the church body this morning and it was such an encouragement to everyone. I cried the whole way through it, knowing that God is supernaturally working through you and yet, being human, you feel deeply right now whether it be hope or fear. My heart hurts for you and yet it leaps for joy when we hear of Anna's improvements and how God is working in your own lives. We love you deeply and pray for God's grace & mercy in your lives.
Love, Heather
We're crying out to God with you all, and for you all. We love you much.
Carey
Noah and Angie I was so blessed by your letter read in church yesterday. I am amazed and encouraged by your perspective in these circumstances. Thank you for your faith and willingess to share your heart with us. We will continue to pray for you and your children. May God continue to lift your eyes up to Him the author and perfector of life and faith.
Megan and the Beglingers
My heart breaks for you guys and yet we know God is faithful!!! We are continuing to pray for you and trust. God uses our spouses to encourage us and remind us of who is in control!
Noah & Angie,
I'm crying out to the Lord this morning with you guys! I lift you and little Anna up and know that God will work all things for good. Thank you so much for sharing with us and allowing us to know and love Anna also. I pray for improvement in her condition today!
Wendi
Post a Comment