Not sure how so much time could have passed since our last update... maybe it's the upside-down schedule that we've moved into over the last two weeks. Angie has, more or less, moved into the NICU including spending nights, which has been a great blessing for Anna's development. Angie's round-the-clock presence gives Anna the opportunity to try to breastfeed at any feeding time where she is alert enough and strong enough to try (you never know when that will happen, so it's invaluable for Angie to be there when it does!).
Anna is up to full feeding volumes (52 ml per feeding), and she has had a handful of successful nursing times right from Mommy. She has worked on her skill of sucking, swallowing, and breathing; and we are so grateful that she desires to eat! (Because of her NEC, the doctors had been concerned that she wouldn't want to eat - which takes a long time to try to reverse.) Over the last 12 days, Anna has gained about 5 ounces just on Mommy's milk! Thank you, God, that Anna can digest and absorb the nutrients from Angie's milk! She is now 5 lbs. 11 ounces.
The "routine" has pushed us to our limits in so many ways, and there have definitely been times where we have tried to make it work in our own strength, which has led to exhaustion and frustration. We again look to God to for the strength and endurance not just to make it through, but to trust Him and rely on Him for all things, and rejoice! We want to remember always all that God has done, and all the ways He has worked. This is why so many altars were built by the Israelites - to create a unmistakable physical reminder of the goodness of the Lord. He is so good!
6 comments:
Noah & Angie -
so good to see this news. I'm sure this routine is exhausting and normal life seems a distant memory! We'll be praying for endurance in the next days and weeks and for more successful nursing!! Anna is looking so big & healthy - seems like Heather was around that weight when she was born?
In His love, Dave & Melody
Noah and Ang,
Wow, Anna Joy looks wonderful!! I can't believe it's already been 60 days since she made her appearance here on this earth though I'm sure it seems like a lifetime to you. And how amazing that she has made such progress is this time. Praise God indeed!! Even though you have both had very tough days of fear, doubt, depression, pure exhaustion and moments of just gutting it out, I have been so blessed and inspired by how you continue to return to trusting God and knowing that He is the One sustaining you and Anna Joy. I still see in my minds eye His large, loving, healing hands on her small frail body bringing her health and life. What a great gift it would be if you all got to be home for Christmas-if she continues to progress like she is maybe, just maybe that wish will come true. Know that I think of you and pray for you often.
I love you guys,
Vicki
Great to hear this today, as well as Lyndsey's update on mom's time. I'm sure this is all exhausting to everyone in the family, but how encouraging that all these efforts are moving Anna closer to her homecoming! Is Angie taking visitors or does she desire them at all? I know the germ issue is still quite relevant. I am praying for Chad and Heather, too, and hoping they are coping with all of these changes. We miss you guys a ton.
Thank you for this update - I am still checking on your blog daily - and we are daily praying for your family. I did the NICU routine for such a short time - and I understand how frustrating and exhausting it can be . . . we lobbied to get Judah home, who hadn't been taking full feedings at the time - I was convinced he would get fuller feedings if I could be near him all the time - and it has worked out for us. He is still being bottle fed breast milk most of the time, and transition to exclusively my milk is still going to take time. What are the markers you are looking for for her to be released? You are in our thoughts and prayers always. Love you all!
Oh, I see, she still has her feeding tube in, we will be praying that she will get stronger in feeding soon - it seems like you are so close!
Thanks for the update. We continue to pray for your strength & energy, knowing that this has to be so exhausting at times. We love you guys and truly miss seeing you and your sweet family at church. And Noah-we miss you leading worship too! Ang, if you are ready to have people meet you for lunch Id love to come down. Just let me know when works best for you!
Love,
Heather
Post a Comment