Sunday, December 13, 2009

On the Homestretch?

Last week we "roomed in" with Anna, as the doctors call it, a couple nights to prepare for caring for her at home. She was still hooked up to her monitors, but we were with her in a separate room and were responsible for all of her caretaking... giving her medicine, feeding her, cleaning the breast pump stuff, logging intake volumes, reporting breathing spells, changing diapers, etc.). We didn't get much sleep - especially Angie (4 hrs total over about a 2-day period) - but we wanted to make sure we could take care of her for 2 days since eventually it will be much longer than that!! After the second night, the doctor came in and told us we should both go home and get some sleep, which we did. Our bed felt like a piece of heaven.

Today was the day we anticipated bringing Anna home, based on the doctors' continual assessment of her progress. Angie and I have been concerned about her periodic breathing spells (where she holds her breath and her heart rate and oxygen levels go down), and if at home she would be receiving an apnea monitor, but based on Anna's clinical symptoms which were all discussed YESTERDAY with the doctors, there was not a medical necessity to have one. Anna has had periodic breathing, but no documented "apnea" spells in the last couple weeks. We looked into getting a monitor on our own, and found out we would still need a doctor's order to get it (regardless of self pay vs. insurance pay). The idea of going home without a monitor felt like flying blind. We were praying about what to do, and... God answered our prayer very specifically: OVERNIGHT, Anna had not one, but two, apnea spells! Normally, this would obviously not be a good thing, since it demonstrates she still has a ways to go; but at this point, the more information the better. So TODAY, the apnea monitor went from "no clinical support to order one" to a requirement. That was an answer to prayer - and much better than our desire to just somehow get a monitor. Anna's spells gave everyone a bigger window into how she is really doing. We know that God is in charge of her little body, and we are thankful He continues to protect and sustain her.

So for this week, Anna will be getting caffeine again to help with her breathing, and the doctors will monitor her progress over 3-5 days expecting the spells to diminish back out of the apnea category. She'll also have one more blood panel to make sure she is making and maintaining her red blood cells. Lord willing, if she "passes" both of these tests, and barring any unexpected events; we would be bringing her home sometime either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday! This idea of going home was always a theoretical future event - one that we neer spent much time thinking about, since it would be getting so far ahead of ourselves - and now it is coming upon us.

We praise God for His faithfulness. And we want to live out what Asaph proclaims in Psalm 73: "For me, it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works."

Here's Anna getting her caffeine.

11 comments:

Brett said...

This is so awesome guys. We are so happy that you will finally be able to get little Anna into your home!

Anonymous said...

Glad that things are working out the way they are. I am so relieved that she'll be home and you will be well equipped to take care of her without having to worry at all times if she's breathing ok or not. I know you still have a long road ahead of you and will probably average such a small amount of sleep. PLEEEEASE make your needs and requests known when you bring her home. I know you will be insanely busy.

Amy said...

How awesome!!! That is so wonderful that Lord willing, soon you can have her at home with you! I hope it comes soon and all goes well! What a blessing about the answer to prayer for the monitor! Hopefully she won't have many apnea episodes, but how nice to have the monitor to give you peace of mind! Praise God!!

Emma said...

I loved the little video - just to see her sucking on that bottle top. She's looking so good. Praise God. We're taking our computer to MN so I'll be watching and praying for the end of your week and hopefully Anna coming home!

Melody

Heather said...

Praising God with you both! I'm so glad you're able to breastfeed her now! What a Christmas gift it would be to have her home with you.

Angela said...

Praying for you and praising God for your new strides. Blessings to you my friend.

Heather said...

Wow! God is so good! Thanks for sharing the events of the last few days. Praying for your strength and that you would be able to rest whenever possible. What an amazing gift to have Anna come home before Christmas! We love you guys!

Jay & Heather

Crystal said...

We are so happy for you - and know some of the trials and challenges you face . . and continue to pray :) She is so sweet - and I am sure that you will find that bringing her home will boost her growth in certain areas. They released Judah to us (after we lobbied that we could make sure he ate what he needed) with the "strong recommendation" that we keep him in the NICU until he went a strong 48 hours eating everything at every feeding - and he would go for nearly a day - and then have to be "gavajed?" or tube fed for one feeding - which would set him back another 24 hours at least. I just felt in my heart that he would eat better for us at home - as I would be able to give him my full attention . . . . he gained 9 oz in 5 days - totally blowing the doctor's away. I know you have more than feeding issues to deal with - but we hope and pray that bringing Anna Joy home will give her the boost she needs :) Much love and prayers are with you all continually. I understand how time consuming it is to pump/clean/bottle feed/nurse etc - we are still trying to transition Judah to exclusive nursing - and it is a challenge.

Unknown said...

Noah and Angie,
God is faithful! I am so glad that the time to bring Anna home is so close, how exciting!! We will be praying for you, and Anna.
Boe and Amanda

Wendi leigh said...

Merry Christmas to you guys! I'll pray that Anna will come home as scheduled. I'm so thankful for the change of plan on the equipment. It's nice to have it on hand, just in case. She's just beautiful. Congratulations on the GIANT step forward!

Wendi for the Brooksies

ann marie said...

I was so encouraged by God's faithfulness to provide a monitor for you. Thanks for sharing and praise the Lord for her homecoming.