Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eating Less and Less

Well for the better part of a month now, Anna Joy has been consistently eating less and less. In the past, she has had her ups and downs, but the downs had usually lasted a week or so at the most. When Anna was going strong, her feeding volumes were around 22-24 ounces per day. And her feeds were becoming somewhat predictable and less time consuming. Since mid-May though, she has been refusing to eat pretty early on in her feeds - now sometimes to the point where she refuses before she even reaches one ounce! Angie has been working overtime to find ways to get each and every ounce into her, while not forcing her (which could aggravate the issue), and Anna has been taking in only about 15-17 ounces per day, which is barely enough to keep her hydrated and prevent lethargy. We still have a follow-up nurse come to our home for weight checks and physical therapy, and recently the visits have increased to weekly. Tomorrow Anna's therapist plans on doing more oral therapy with her in hopes that she will take to the bottle again and increase her fluid intake. We also have an appointment with Anna's pediatric gastroenterologist next week to get more information about her intestinal situation.

We ask for prayer that Anna would not refuse eating altogether. If she continues down the path she's on, then it would lead to a feeding tube being put in so that she can gain weight and grow and develop properly. She has started to lose weight in the last week, so pray that God would grant her the ability and desire to feed and thrive!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear this. What a difficult bump in the journey of little Anna Joy's life. I will commit to pray for this specifically and that the doctors would know the best step to take in helping her eat. We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. This is so difficult. I will be praying for all of you, as I'm sure it's extremely frustrating and scary to see this happening every day. I can come by and dance in front of her again while she eats if it helps!
Looking forward to getting back over there. Looks like both boys are out of the woods and now, I just want to make sure what I've got is allergies and not a cold. 99% sure, but don't want to risk it. Talk soon, Love you, Hang in there.

Stephanie Timmons said...

Thanks for the update - we are praying that Anna's appetite would develop and that her little body would take in as much nutrients as possible. We are praying for you guys and for strength and comfort during this time - you're doing amazing, Ang! Anna is so blessed to have you guys as parents. Love, Steph

Shannon said...

Praying for little Anna RIGHT NOW! Thanks so much for the updates..I know you guys are so busy already with everything you have going on, but you really have no idea how much I love reading about your little Anna good or bad...then I know exactly how to pray. You all must be so tired. Praying for strength and peace.

John 16:33 "I have said these things to you, that you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

"God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain, but without stain." -C.S Lewis

We ran into a young couple in our neighborhood who has a 18 month old she was born at 25 weeks in the pregnancy. She was a twin but her sister didn't make it. She was on a feeding tube also, and they were just finally starting to be able to take her outside the home (her stroller was completely covered in this net thing). They still were unable to have other kids around her and hadn't seen there nieces or nephews since everything went down. So heart breaking. I was instantly reminded of you guys while we were talking with them. We know for a fact that you have the love of Christ in you, and we have no idea about this young couple.

As Brett and I walked away my eyes flooded with tears thinking of your journey and how strong your faith has been through and through. Thanks for being that example to us and those around you. May you continue to find rest in your ever faithful Father's arms. We love you guys. Shannon & Brett

The Mitchells Five said...

Our hearts ache for you and we will fervently pray on your behalf. We know our God is big enough to do anything - may He give you the grace to go through this and wisdom to know what is best for Anna.
I'm so glad we can pray - know that we are!
Melody & Dave