Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Challenges of being home...

Anna has been home now for over 2 weeks. It has been such a delight for everyone to have her home with us. She has had many struggles being home, which has caused a lot of stress for all of us. I am so thankful for my parents. They have been staying with us in our home day and night to help with literally "everything!" Heather and Chad have had a difficult adjustment to the "new" schedule and multiple authority figures. Noah and I have had to really work hard at giving them individual attention. We have been gone for so long that they are yearning to have things "back to normal" ...I'm still not sure what that is! Please forgive my grammar as I write this...due to the amount of sleep I'm getting. I just wanted to share some thoughts as to where we are right now...

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse...they would...Heather one night threw up down the hallway that ended up on the walls and floor boards...as I cleaned I just prayed that no one else would get sick and that this was just a one time event! Noah was comforting/feeding Anna at the time and had just kicked his toe against one of the kid's toys and it was bleeding all over. He was trying to get his foot in some ice water and Chad was not staying in his room where he was suppose to be sleeping! Ahhh! This of course had to all happen when my parents had decided it would be a good night for them to sleep at there house for once. Then the next evening I had told the kids that it was bed time and that they needed to brush their teeth. I was feeding Anna in her room and I could hear Chad in the bathroom. When I went to check on him I saw that he had been drinking his sister's anti cavity fluoride rinse! When I caught him, Chad said, "Mommy, yummy juice!" So of course I had to call poison control to find out if he was going to be okay and they said that apparently he would have had to have drank 4x the amount that he did. I told Noah that I was about to turn in my "Mommy Badge." I really didn't think that I was doing a good job and felt that I really couldn't handle one more thing.

Anna has not been pooping on her own, so we give her a suppository every 24 hours. She had been throwing up most of her feeds and her body would arch in pain as she cried out! We went to see the Dr. this past Monday and since our visit Anna has been doing a lot better. She has been eating and keeping her milk down, which has been a HUGE praise. Anna is now over 7 lbs and 20 inches long. We are praying that her little intestines will figure things out and allow her some comfort. We will also be meeting with a specialist about her intestines as well.

Please pray for stamina for all of us! Noah has been working long days...6am-midnight...there is much going on at work right now and it doesn't help that he wakes up in the night to Anna's cries or a false alarm on her monitor. I think we are all trying to pace ourselves and we know that things will get better as Anna gets older. Please pray that we all would be kind and patient with one another as we all try and survive each day! :)

We have been greatly encouraged by many friends and family! Thank you all for your encouraging notes, meals, and prayers. We are blessed by so many! God is always providing for our every need and we are so grateful for the peace that He brings to us each day.

11 comments:

The Mitchells Five said...

Wow Angie - I was just praying for you guys this morning and wondering how it was going. I didn't pray hard enough! I'm sorry Noah is working so much! I'm sure that's hard on everyone. I will be praying for all of these things - it'll give me someone to think of besides myself in the coming weeks!
Melody

Crystal said...

Oh Angie - I have been praying for you throughout the day. I have learned that I do not function well on little sleep, I understand. So THANKFUL that Anna's feeds are going much better since Monday - that is so relieving. May the Lord continue to grow little Anna and to strengthen and sustain all of you through this very difficult season, thank you fro the update and letting us know how we can continue to be praying.

Shannon said...

You guys amaze me. Keep persevering. Praying the Lord will continue to grow you, strengthen you, and give you a peace about everything. We sure do love you & feel blessed to be your brothers & sisters in Christ. More pics of Anna please!! ;)

Unknown said...

I will be praying for you all. Love you.

Unknown said...

We are keeping you in our prayers. I am glad that Anna is home.

The Eaks said...

Oh Angie, I am so sorry to hear how challenging life has been. You all are on our hearts constantly. We are asking the Father to give you rest and peace. May many small blessings fill your long days and nights.
Love you all,
Carey

Anonymous said...

Angie,
I know it has been several days since you wrote this last post and things may be running much smoother. But I just wanted to tell you to give yourself some grace. Having 3 kids is a huge thing and then adding on a preemie to that along with all you guys have been through in the last several months is extremely difficult. You are doing a really great job and I will be praying for God to strengthen you and give you extra measures of patience for your little ones. I love you my friend!

Anna

Unknown said...

We are praying for you guys, and so sorry you are having to endure such a hard season. We are blessed by your perserverance and know that God will sustain you one day at a time.

Unknown said...

Hang in there, you guys...
We are still praying for you... What a precious picture of Anna in the pink and brown suit. Sorry we have been silent for these last couple months. We just moved again Dec. 30 and now have internet at home again! Yea! Thanks for keeping up your blog and helping us know better how to pray!
Love,
Bret and Katey

Heather said...

A wise friend of mine once said that "normal" is just a setting on your dryer :)

Praying for you...

Brian M Tanner said...

Hey Angie,
I agree, it's hard bringing a NICU baby home - even harder with other children I'm cure. Hang in there. I'm sure you are doing a much better job than you think you are.
Abigail came home Dec. 27th! She is doing well and gaining weight (7 lbs 3 oz now). She was also put on the 30 cal formula before she left the NICU and since then she has needed suppositories as well. Another NICU mom I talked to said that her last NICU baby took 5 months to poop on his own. I think our kids will get there eventually. Good luck with everything!
Lisa